Obatala Journal Entry

Today I observed the dreary lifeless domain beneath the sky. How empty and lifeless it looks. Olokun must be unhappy there to rule over such a large area, but have no subjects and nothing to keep her company. Olorun said I can create land and life where there is only water now. Orunmila told me the items I needed to create land and life. They were easy to find and didn’t require much effort. The hard part was collecting as much gold as I could find for the goldsmith to make a chain leading from the sky to the water far below.

I couldn’t believe it! The chain didn’t go all the way to the water and I wasn’t about to jump from that height. Orunmila said I should drop the seashell with the sand in it and the drop the hen. Astounding! The hen kicked the sand around and everywhere the sand landed there sprung up valleys and mountains, plains and plateaus. What a day it has been. I’ve named this land Ife and will soon make a small house for me and the cat. This should keep me occupied for awhile, but eventually I would like more beings that look and feel as I do. Olokun will be so happy to see what I have created for her!

No comments: